When you talk about a favorite sport in India, definitely one name that kicks first in mind is cricket. Cricket is one of the favorite sports of every Indian. It is played in every corner of the country and has a huge fan following across the globe. The beginning of cricket started in the 16th century, and its origin is in southeast England. In the 18th century, it became the established sport in the country and after the 18th century in the 19th and 20th, it was played globally. Cricket is the world’s second world most famous and Spector sport after football. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is India’s governing body that oversees all domestic tournaments. Not only males but even females also have a great fan following for cricket.
Let’s look at five reasons why cricket is adoration in India-
- India has a great cricket infrastructure– India has an excellent cricket infrastructure. There is at least one cricket stadium in every town in India. Most stadiums provide good international standard coaching and the best facilities. The high availability of cricket training and coaching centers is one of the biggest reasons behind the popularity of cricket in India. The world’s largest cricket stadium is also in India.
- The advent of the best batsman– India has the best batsman, and that’s also the main reason for the glorification of cricket in India. India not only has a huge fan following, but it also has the best players. Players who create history as well like Sunil Gavaskar, Sachin Tendulkar, Kapil dev and Rahul Dravid, and many others name too. Like the male Indian cricket team in India, the female team also has excellent performances like Mithali Raj, Harmanpreet Kaur, Jhulan Goswami, and many others.
- Victories at major ICC tournaments– India’s international cricket council (ICC) legacy as a cricket giant began in 1983 when a Kapil Dev-led team defeated West Indies in that year. It was India’s first ICC trophy victory.
- The emergence of IPL– After becoming world T20 champions, the Indian premier league was started in India by the BCCI. It is the world’s most popular T20 league. The combination of both entertainment and sports has been a massive hit in India. Furthermore, the IPL has a different type of craziness from cricket. The IPL is getting more prominent and more popular every passing year.
- Enormous fan following– There is a different passion in India for cricket. Here the children grow up by playing cricket in the streets. According to a data report for 2022, India has 12.4 crore fans of cricket. And this data represents 91% of the total sports fan following.