Aspergillosis, often known as “green fungus,” is an infection caused by the ubiquitous mould Aspergillus, which thrives both inside and outdoors. The “green fungus” illness was discovered in a Covid-19 survivor in Madhya Pradesh’s Indore, potentially the first such instance in the country, according to physicians. According to sources, the 34-year-old was sent by air ambulance to Mumbai’s Hinduja Hospital for treatment after recovering from Covid-19. The man has been receiving treatment at Indore’s Aurobindo Hospital for the last month and a half. He had a 90% lung infection.
The green fungus was discovered in his lungs during his diagnosis, which is distinct from Mucormycosis or Black Fungus. This might be the country’s first incidence of green fungus,” said Apoorva Tiwari, district data manager of the Indore Health Department.
Case of “green fungus”
According to Dr Ravi Dosi, director of the department of chest disorders at Sri Aurobindo Institute of Medical Sciences (SAIMS), the individual was tested on suspicion of having black fungus or mucormycosis. Instead, he was determined to have a “green fungus” or aspergillosis infection in his sinuses, lungs, and blood. Dr Dosi explained, “The patient was able to recover. But then he began to get nosebleeds and a high fever. “He had also grown quite feeble as a result of his weight loss.”
Dr Dosi also emphasised that additional study was needed to determine whether the type of “green fungus” infection in persons who recovered on Covid-19 differed from that of other patients. The director of the All-India Institute of Official Sciences (AIIMS), Randeep Guleria, has stated that people should not categorise fungal illnesses based on their colour and should instead use the medical nomenclature of the diseases.
What causes “green fungus”?
Aspergillosis is an infection caused by a common mould, Aspergillus, which lives indoors as well as outdoors. People can get aspergillosis by breathing in microscopic Aspergillus spores from the environment. Most of us breathe in Aspergillus spores every day without getting sick but those with weakened immune systems or lung diseases are at a higher risk of developing health issues. According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), allergic reactions, lung infections and infections in other organs are among the types of health problems caused by Aspergillus. However, Aspergillosis is not contagious and can’t spread between people or between people and animals from the lungs.
What are the signs and symptoms of “green fungus?”
According to the CDC, different kinds of aspergillosis can produce a variety of symptoms. Wheezing, shortness of breath, coughing, and fever are common symptoms of allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis (ABPA) (in rare cases). Among the symptoms of allergic Aspergillus, sinusitis is stuffiness, runny nose, headache and reduced ability to smell. Symptoms of an aspergilloma or “fungus ball” include cough, coughing up blood and shortness of breath. Weight loss, cough, coughing up blood, fatigue and shortness of breath are reported in those who get chronic pulmonary aspergillosis.
Fever is a common symptom of invasive aspergillosis, which usually occurs in people who are already sick from other medical conditions. It can be difficult to know which symptoms are related to an Aspergillus infection. However, the symptoms of invasive aspergillosis in the lungs fever, chest pain, cough, coughing up blood and shortness of breath. CDC says other symptoms can develop if the infection spreads from the lungs to other parts of the body.
How can we prevent getting a “green fungus” infection?
Doctors say rare fungal infections can be prevented by maintaining good hygiene and oral and physical cleanliness. People should try to avoid areas with a lot of dust and stored contaminated water. They should wear an N95 respirator for prevention if they cannot help going to their areas. Avoid activities that involve close contact with soil or dust can also help. People should keep washing their face and hands with soap and water, especially if they have been exposed to soil or dust.