Nowadays, smartphones have become a necessary part of our life. Smartphones also play an important part in the lives of all of us. Especially in the time of social distancing, everyone had only one support to connect with people and that is obviously smartphones. Smartphones have a lot of benefits. It is said that using too much of something also makes our life harmful. And this thing is also happening with us. Smartphones and other devices give information and entertainment rapidly, they can make us less patient with real conversations with people in our lives. In many ways, our smartphones are unknowingly affecting us.
Below are some ways through which smartphones unknowingly affect us.
- Mental Health is affected– Smartphones have already taken away mental peace. checking our mobile phones frequently has become a habit. And this habit weighs on all of us results are Comorbidity with depression, anxiety. Excessive smartphone use is associated with difficulties in cognitive-emotion regulation, impulsivity, impaired cognitive function, addiction to social networking, shyness, and low self-esteem.
- Eyesight problem– As much as we depend on our mobile devices for viewing and responding to emails, checking the weather, reading headline news, and posting status updates on Facebook, our smartphones may be causing us some vision problems. Staring at a tiny screen for a long time affected our eyes. According to a report by Jeff Taylor, M.D., medical director for Yoursightmatters.com complains about eye strain due to reading text on a small screen. He also said that normally humans blink about 15 times per minute, but this rate decreases by half when we are staring at our smartphones.
- Children avoid outdoor activities– Smartphones not only affect the life of youngsters or elders but also affect children. During the time of covid when parents are not allowed their wards to go outside for playing, meeting with friends, going on trips. At that time children had only one option then they spent their time on smartphones. Now they avoid going outside for outdoor activities.
- Contribute to sleep issues – Research has found that using your smartphone before bed can make it harder to fall asleep due to the blue light it emits. Our sleep is also affected in other ways such as engaging with negativity or upsetting news or information on the internet that directly affects one’s psyche.
- Affecting Relationships- Humans are spoiling the relations because of smartphones. Even if people sit together they will not like to talk to each other rather than communicate they prefer using their mobile phones. Our phones keep us connected and help maintain relationships, but in some ways, they drive a wedge between us, too. Phubbing or snubbing someone in front of you in favour of your phone, has become a big problem.